I suggest you ...

reconfigure new library catalogue system

I am a faculty member, and I have just spent 25 (!) minutes trying to add a single DVD item to my reserves list. I "discovered" (pun intended) that neither Discover E or Euclid is tied directly to the reserves system. This has produced enormously time consuming and awkward "solutions" to what is clearly a design flaw. I finally was reduced to calling the reserves librarian directly--.
Discover E makes it very hard to determine whether a specific item is actually in the catalogue. That would seem to be a big problem. Also a big problem, to reiterate, is that faculty have to back into reserves requests with 3 or 4 additional steps than were present within the old system.
What I say is in no way a reflection on the skill and courtesy of the dedicated librarians who are trying valiantly to make an obviously poorly designed system work for patrons. Thank God for them.

If I sound upset, it is because I am at this point. I have worked with this system for weeks finding more and more problems with it.. No one needs routine tasks made more burdensome. The point of new technology should be to make access and use easier. Quite clearly, this choice of technologies was poorly done. Whose decision was it?

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pam HallPam Hall shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LolLol commented  · 

Lol

• Judith MillerJudith Miller commented  · 

I agree - I am appalled at ther changes to Euclid. You bascially took a system that worked pretty well, and to which the librarians had made numerous useful additions (e reserve links, etc) and destroyed it. I cannot prepare my classed for the fall because I cannot search reliably in either Euclid or Discovery to locate class materials and create some assignments.

Whose decision was it?

• Tonio AndradeTonio Andrade commented  · 

I agree -- the "improvements" have made the system much, much worse. It is nearly unusable, especially from off campus. I have wasted so much time looking things up, trying to tie them to reserves, or trying to access electronic resources. It's terrible. Awful. A total, complete mess.

Feedback and Knowledge Base